(2 days, 2 nights)
BRISBANE AND THE GOLD COAST
2 days, 2 nights
Here's where we picked up our camper van which offered so much freedom - definitely recommend if you can! (We used Lucky Rentals company).
We went to the renowned Steve Irwin's, Australia Zoo! So much fun where you can be at one with the Kangaroos and feed them, hold koalas, watch the croc show, and even take a trip to Africa and South East Asia!
In the evening we walked around South Bank in Brisbane City, through the fairylight walkway, enjoying the Christmas markets and the summery bar vibe with an aperol spritz.
Stayed: Brisbane Backpackers $21-34. beautiful panoramic view of the whole city, with a great pool and bar area. Easy walk into Brisbane City.
We headed to Mount Coot-Tha (7km walk or there are taxis/busses available) to see the panoramic view of Brisbane. Unfortunately it was a pretty cloudy for us, but it is meant to beautiful!
We headed back down the Brisbane's City centre and walked around the Botanical Gardens before continuing our trip.
- Kiss the Berry, $. South Bank. I would recommend the "Watermelon Split" with handmade granola, banana, coconut yoghurt, watermelon and passionfruit.. mmmm.
- Felix for Goodness $. Industrial, arty vibe cafe with great coffees and decent brunch options.
- Mucho Mexicano $. for taco Tuesdays!! Unlimited tacos for $25. Winner. The pumpkin tacos were a dream. Tom broke the record of 42 tacos. Can you beat him?
- Gauge $-$$. Modern Australian food, cafe-style with a quirky food menu and extravagant wine list. Go check out their 'blood taco' their signature dish and their banana bread.
- Bar Pacino. $$. A rooftop riverfront balcony.
- The Plough Inn $$. Beer garden and deck.
SURFERS PARADISE | PALM BEACH
DAY TWENTY-SIX to TWENTY-SEVEN
"Surfers Paradise" is the common place people stop off. However, it was way too touristy for us so instead we drove 10mins down the coast to Palm Beach which was absolutely stunning. (Burleigh Heads is also a beautiful spot just before Palm Beach). There's a beautiful costal walk from Palm Beach to Burleigh Heads which I recommend doing for sure, ending with a sunset picnic looking out on the sea.
We drove to Springbrook National Park and walked through the subtropical rainforests to see the waterfalls, creeks and cascades. (Better than the Currumbin Rock Pools!) - There are more national parks around if you'd like to explore more such as Lamington National Park.
Stayed: Palm Beach Holiday Park.$$ Family resort campsite with great facilities opposite Palm Beach.
Travel: Brisbane to Palm Beach - 3hr 30mins drive.
- Borough Barista $ - Burleigh Heads. Friendly vibe with cool tunes in an edgy 'shack'. Enjoy a chia bowl with the local surfers.
- Justin Lane Pizzeria & Bar $$ - Burleigh Heads. Onto of a shop, quirky bar is very lively and makes the most delicious pizzas and pasta dishes.