4 days, 4 nights
(3 DAYS, 3 NIGHTS)
DAY TWELVE to FOURTEEN
This is one of the highlights of Australia, going to the Whitsundays. Unfortunately, the Cyclone meant we didn't experience the beauty of the Whitsundays but it is supposed to be absolutely stunning - especially Whitehaven! We went on New Horizons boat - everyone says this boat is highly recommended or the Clipper boat which is said to be a 'party boat' but depends on the people you go with! The boat trip is 2 nights, 3 days. On the third night, it is common for the crew to organise a dinner with everyone and a night out - discounts everywhere you go!
FYI: It's a BYO system so make sure to stock up on all the drinks you want beforehand - and no zips allowed on the boat (as they attract bedbugs. Fun fact for you all). Meals all included.
Travel: Townsville to Airlie Beach - between 3 hours 30 minutes - 4 hours 30 minutes (depending on the time you go).
Boat Company: New Horizons or Clipper Boat ("party" boat)
This was an inbetweeny day before catching the overnight Greyhound to Rainbow Beech. A day to explore Airlie Beech (not a lot there), go to the lagoon, and enjoy a chilled one on the beech.
Travel: Airlie Beach to Rainbow Beach - overnight bus around 17 hours 30 minutes - 18 hours 30 minutes
Stayed: Nomads: cute little huts, right in the centre of Airlie.
- Garuma. $$-$$$. Such great salmon. And presentation.
- Treehouse. $$-$$$. Lovely food, and atmosphere with a definite treehouse feel.
- Village Cafe. $$. Massive breakfasts with lovely reef views.
- Wisdom Health Lab $. Cheap takeaway food and juices/smoothies.
- Spicy Thai. $-$$. cheap food and super tasty.
- Boaty's. $. Cheap drinks and pub lunch food.